Re: Beadblast Setup

To: bwesterdale@edax.com, phillup@bellsouth.net, triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Beadblast Setup
From: LaJoMor@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 19:50:41 EST
I can't AGREE MORE with Bob on his assessment of compressor requirements for
media blasting.

Due to monetary contraints I opted for a SEARS oil-less model...naively
thinking it would be enough for what I wanted to do in my TR250 restoration.
It is a 25 gallon, 5.5hp vertical tank model that runs on regular household
current (115V). I quickly found out about the HIGH noise level, duty cycle,
and longevity (or lack thereof) of an oil less compressor.

The noise is very annoying (I wear ear protection when I am any place close
to it), and the duty cycle is very short. If you plan on any heavy duty
blasting (i.e. aluminum oxide at about 80psi to remove rust from iron/steel)
the compressor will be going on and off every couple of minutes. THIS IS VERY
ANNOYING if your blast cabinet is near the compressor. When you are working
away and that unit turns on you will jump a foot every time...trust
me...BTDT!

I am on my second rebuild of the compressor 'unit.' It is not difficult to
do. The thing is fairly simple...but it is time away from the project. The
rebuild kit from SEARS is $35. I will shortly, if I keep wearing it out, have
spent what a two-stage, oil lubed unit would have cost! This unit would be
good for the occasional air tool use, painting, or short term blasting with
glass beads, walnut shells, or plastic media for general cleaning at maybe
50-60psi , not rust removal.

Save your money and get the one Bob recommended. Buying the other is false
economy in my humble opinion.

Oh...by the way...Bob doesn't own ALL of Home Depot...I am a large investor
also!!!

If you are even remotely thinking about purchasing a compressor, PLEASE read
the site Bob provided the URL for...you will be forever grateful...or at
least your wallet will be!

Larry Morrison
TR250