RE: Beadblast Setup

To: "'Phil Evans'" <phillup@bellsouth.net>, triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Beadblast Setup
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 13:47:48 -0500
Phil-
        Beware of the ratings found on most compressors today... They are
wildly overrated, and vary a great deal from manufacturer to manufacturer.
As a general rule, always buy more compressor than you think you'll ever
need.. ( well, within limits of course)  A basic beadblast cabinet will need
around 3-5 horsepower,  which of course rules out 115vac powerlines.  You
can reduce the diameter of the blast nozzle to conserve air, but of course
productivity is greatly reduced.  The "s" stands for standard, i.e..
controlled temperature + pressure.  I doubt it gives the compressor rating
any more believability, though.  Don't buy an "oilless diaphragm
compressor", as they are extremely loud and ill suited for continuous duty.
A two stage 3-5 Hp vertical tank compressor (Ingersol, I think) from Home
Depot is around 8-900 bucks ISTR. (FI-
 I own Home Depot, at least I should based on my expenditures..)  A good bit
'o change, but the last compressor you'll need.
        The link below is an excellent treatise on what you'll need.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000001.html

Good luck,
Bob Westerdale
59 3A  TS36967