Beadblast Setup

To: Phil Evans <phillup@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Beadblast Setup
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:11:09 -0500
Cc: "triumphs-digest@autox.team.net" <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Phil Evans
>I would like to ask the 'List' what are the minumim air compressor
outputs to operate a small benchtop (sand/bead) blast cabinet.  Most
cabinets state 5 cfm @ 100 psi, but most compressors are rated around
5.5 cfm @ 90 psi. Also, some makers of compressors are using  SCFM. What
does the 'S' stand for?  I am looking at compressors with 8 gal tanks to
ones with from 20 - 60 gal tanks. Enlighten me. Thanks
Phil Evans
<

Phil,

The "S" stands for "standard."  SCFM means Standard Cubic Feet per Minute
which is the amout of air at one atmosphere and 20 degrees C (70 Deg C).
When you compress air it gets smaller and 0ne SCFM (or the air flow at the
intake) will equate to quite a bit less at 90 PSI.  At 90 PSI air occupies
about 1/7th of the volume that it does at atmospheric pressure.

I doubt you will find a 120 Vac compressor that will keep up with a sand
blast cabinet.  Even one rated at 5.5 CFM@90 will have trouble keeping air
to a 5 CFM@100.  The compressor will eun full time and you will start
getting water in the air stream after a while.

If you are blasting a lot of little parts (read: stop blasting and open the
cabinet and exchange parts often allowing the compressor to recover and
cool down) then you will probably be OK.  And for a hobbyist, that is
probably sufficient.  Why pay $1000 for something you'll use on the odd
weekend.  A little blast-wait-blast-wait is a small price to pay for the
extra car goodies you can get for the money.

Dave (I've got a 20 HP compressor here at work and it runs an awful lot
when we run the sandblast cabinet) Massey