Re: Tool to spin oil pump to test oil pressure

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tool to spin oil pump to test oil pressure
From: "Frank & Sandy Crowe" <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 18:40:13 +0000 FILETIME=[868656E0:01C1C150]
Here is something I did (the drill shaft might have been easier!)

I made a pressure container with a tire fitting on one end and pipe threads
on the other.  To this I screwed a valve, tee with pressure guage and the
appropiate fitting to connect to the side of the block where the oil
pressure guage line attaches.

Into the container goes a pint of oil, it is pressurized to 40 or 50 psi
(make sure the container will stand the pressure!) then attach to engine and
open the valve.

In my case, the engine had not run in 25 years.  I soaked the rings with
penetrating oil for several weeks, then gave them a shot of 30w.  With plugs
out, the pressure tank cleared out all the old oil, primed the pump and had
oil pressure up to operating pressure before I ever turned over the engine.
When the engine did turn over, I could see that the oil pump was working
because of my gauge.  I put the plugs back in, put some gas in the carbs,
and did the same thing - and this time the engine came to life and ran
perfectly!

Just a thought

Frank
  TS55223L ('59)