Re: British vs. American Grammar

To: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: British vs. American Grammar
From: "Gary Allgood" <g.allgood@LVS.NET>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 21:47:42 -0600
on 3/1/02 6:19 PM, Dave Massey at 105671.471@compuserve.com wrote:

> Message text written by Pete & Aprille Chadwell
>> Of course, Triumph is NOT plural, so the latter grammar is incorrect.
> Triumph is a SINGLE company, so the correct past-tense form of the
> verb is 'has built,' not 'have built.'  And yet whenever I've heard
> someone from Britain say something similar, they always say it
> incorrectly, as if the company's name is plural.  I understand that
> the company is made of up many PEOPLE, but in the example the word
> TRIUMPH is used, not 'the people of Triumph.'
>
> You could correctly say "The PEOPLE of Triumph have built some
> beautiful sports cars."  But it I'd love to know how it is correct to
> say "Triumph HAVE built some beautiful sports cars."
> <
>
> Pete, I guess it's all in how you look at things.  If you think that a
> company is a monolythic entity then "has" would be correct.  But if you
> think that a company is a conglomeration of folks working toward a common
> end (as I do) then I believe the Brits are correct.
>
> But then what the heck is oreGANo?
>
> ;-)
>
> Dave

I have drove Dave Massey's TR6 and TR8 Triumph motor cars. I have also
driven Dave Massey's TR6 and TR8 Triumph motor cars. And I am sure in the
future I will again be driving Dave Massey's Triumph motor cars. There is
also no doubt in my mind that we may drive Dave Massey crazy, but then again
the drive is beautiful in one of Dave Massey's Triumph motor cars.

I have also drank Dave Massey's Guiness and other fine beverages. But what
does that have to do with oreGANo?

Wow...

Gary

Gary Allgood