Re: British vs. American Grammar

Subject: Re: British vs. American Grammar
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 13:30:53 +1100
Pete

Collective nouns and pseudo collective nouns, such as company names,
often create a clash of logic and grammar.

A large number of people IS of the opinion that the word DATA IS a
plural in English as it is in Latin.  I would argue that it IS really
a collective noun in English because DATUM has a separate meaning in
English.  We could even justify a plural of DATUM as in "Different
DATUMS are in use in different locations".

If anyone still believes that the word DATA is a plural in English, I
can only ask what your AGENDA are.

Then were have those wonderful spurious plurals in English such as
TROUSERS and SCISSORS which confuse non-native speakers.  Try
ordering (or wearing/using) just one.

Trevor Jordan
CF29281U