TR4 Rear Shock Conversion

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Rear Shock Conversion
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 21:18:47 -0800 (PST)
Hey, just wanted to ring in on this one, too.....

First off, unless you have a 4a, I don't think the experience offered by
the TR6 IRS guys is going to be of much value.  I may have mis-read
something, but I thought somebody was looking for a rear shock conversion
for a solid axle TR4.

I don't think there is a tube shock conversion for the live axle TRs in
production currently.

My '62 TR4's stock rear armstrong lever shocks were still quite firm after
100K miles and 38 years, but that didn't keep me from taking the valves
out of them and increasing the damping rate.

I used the document I found on 'ARhodes' website as a guide:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/arhodes/

(The site has a wealth of information at it.  Certainly worth checking out
if you've never been there.)

There is some adjustment possible on the valves within the lever shock if
you desire a firmer ride.

I also used Harly Davidson fork oil as a replacement damper fluid. I would
venture that simply changing out the fluid would make a noticable
difference in ride.

Combined, the valve adjustment and fluid replacement resulted in a very
firm ride.  If the tires are inflated to autocross pressures ( 35-40 psi )
it becomes a little rough.

-jeffrey