Fender Sealer...?

To: Eric Miller <ebuzz@teleport.com>
Subject: Fender Sealer...?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:32:15 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Eric Miller
>I am now bolting the painted fenders back on my TR4A and recall some
discussion on the list of using a sealer between the body and the fenders.
<

Eric,

I don't recall what I used as a sealer but I recommend painting the mating
surfaces before assembly to seal the metal independent of the "dum dum."
This junction is very prone to rust since the factory assembled the fenders
without painting them first.

When I assembled my TR6 I painted the mating flanges (and inner sides of
the fenders and bulkhead) with aerosol spray paint before assembly.  Then I
sent it off to the paint guy.  Although six years is too soon to tell, I
have no regrets and no sign of tinworm in these areas.

Most modern cars use a urethane seam sealer but this stuff makes a
wonderful adhesive and if you think you may be pulling the fenders off at
some time then you don't want this.  But check with an auto paint shop for
recommendation but stay away from the seam sealer for this application.

Dave