Re: Clean and paint TR6 engine bay

Subject: Re: Clean and paint TR6 engine bay
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@megalink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 08:04:21 -0600
From: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2002 8:03 AM
Subject: Clean and paint TR6 engine bay

> OK, next step for me is to clean and paint the engine bay. I have no
> experience with body work and no air tools. I am considering buying custom
> spray cans from http://www.towerpaint.com/ to match the body paint.
Anybody
> ever bought from them?

I purchased through them a couple of years ago. Expensive, but less $$$ than
purchasing compressors, hvlp guns and other assorted tools at the time. You
will need two spray cans to do the entire engine bay. They sell 16 oz cans
if memory serves me.

 > The bay is dirty and there is some surface rust on the battery shelf. My
> plan is to wire brush it off and apply some kind of rust converter.

I cleaned mine with WD40 and #7447 maroon scotchbrite. I had major
undercoating throughout the engine bay. I also used a toothbrush in the
corners. After the fun, I rolled the car out of the garage and used an
engine degreaser to clean the residue. The rust areas were sanded and
prepped with POR 15. I hand sanded the entire engine bay with 320 and wet
sanded with 400, applied primer (3 spray cans). Wet sanded with 600 and
primered again then sprayed body color.

    It's not concours but it's clean now and I'm not embarrased to pop the
bonnet anymore.
Good luck
Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6