Re: what's a slecker?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: what's a slecker?
From: David Welch <davewelch@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 17:20:34 -0800
According to the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) that came with my 1959
TR3a (probably a factory option, I don't think everyone got one of these),
one of the many meanings of 'sleck' is 'to make smooth', and is a variant
of 'sleek', which means as we all know, 'to make sleek or smooth by rubbing
or polishing'.

The usage example cited is dated 1530: "I slecke, I make paper smothe with
a slecke stone.  You must slecke your paper if you wyll write Greke well".

Well, inquiring minds want to know ...

David Welch
1959 TR3a, 1970 TR6, 1980 TR7, none running as of yet.