RE: Headers

Subject: RE: Headers
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 20:07:43 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dennis N Culligan wrote :
>  Here's what I got out of the discussion (I do not know
> if this all applies to a Spitfire):
> 1. An economical header won't fit and won't last.
> 2.  The only header to get is $tainless $teel.
> 3.  There are no economical $tainless $teel headers.

Just to be the voice of dissention here (as usual <g>), I ran cheap chromed
headers (from JCW no less) on a TR3A for probably 15,000 miles over a period
of two years, including through an Indiana winter with salt on the roads.
It was my only car at the time.  At the end of that time, the headers still
looked exactly as they did the day after I installed them, with just a bit
of blue around the tubes at the head.  IMO they would've lasted 50,000 miles
easy.  The rest of the mild steel exhaust I installed at the same time was
considerably worse.

Again IMO the main problem with mild steel headers is that they won't
tolerate being overheated the way cast iron will.  As long as your EGT stays
reasonable, mild steel headers will last a long time.  But, if you just slap
on a truly free-flowing exhaust without rejetting the carb, the engine will
run lean, which can send EGT through the roof ...

Randall