Re: Headers

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Headers
From: Rosspemlee@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 23:39:54 EST
In a message dated 3/4/2002 11:06:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM writes:

> Just to be the voice of distention here (as usual <g>), I ran cheap chromed
> headers (from JCW no less) on a TR3A for probably 15,000 miles over a
> period
> of two years, including through an Indiana winter with salt on the roads.
> It was my only car at the time.  At the end of that time, the headers still
> looked exactly as they did the day after I installed them, with just a bit
> of blue around the tubes at the head.  IMO they would've lasted 50,000
> miles
> easy.  The rest of the mild steel exhaust I installed at the same time was
> considerably worse.

Just had to add my $.02 here. The addition of the patented coating known as
Jet Hot makes a world of difference. It is essentially a ceramic and coats
the inside as well as the out. Don't yet have enough miles on Rosebud to give
a testimonial however, have seen several local short track race cars that see
pretty rough action holding up very well. I believe you can probably buy a
decent set of mild steel headers and have them coated for less than the cost
of a set of SS models. Since mine were built up by a local header guy I can't
comment on the fit problems either however, I would not buy any that were
advertised as needing "some fitting," etc.
Doug Ross