TR3 steering box rebuild questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 steering box rebuild questions
From: francois wildi <fwildi@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:34:09 -0800 (PST)
I have dismantled a TR3 steering box that I want to rebuild for a
later swap on my car. I have the following questions:

a) the worm looks a bit scary: the surface of the cylinder (between
the race) is chipped. It looks like the peg got worn and started
applying a lot of pressure just on the edge of the race and
eventually this edge failed. Is that typical? I remember Randall
saying that his 'looked chewed by the steel rats' or something. The
race itself does not look too bad.
b) the rocker shaft is scuffed, but mostly in the upper part, where
the bearing is formed by the box casting, not by the replaceable
bronze bushing. There the wear (oval) is about 0.002. Is this
someting to worry about or does the bronze bushing carry the whole
load when reconditionned? The shaft is smooth (0.0002) at the
location of the bronze bushing. Where would you go to have the rocker
arm reground if possible at all?

c) is the peg on the rocker arm pressed in or expanded on the top
like a rivet? I.e. Should I be able to drive it out without drilling
out the part opposite to the peg itself?

Thanks
Francois