Re: TR3 steering box rebuild questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 steering box rebuild questions
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 12:56:35 -0600
Francois --

I've disassembled two steering boxes, and the worms on both looked
perfectly good.  No chips, nothing.  Maybe I was just lucky - I also
have no idea of the mileage those boxes went through.

On the steering peg - I recommend, as you plan to, that you replace
the peg.  I did not replace mine at first, and I was surprised at how
much steering slop a seeming insignificant amount of wear on the pin
caused.

To replace it - it is a press fit.  I pushed mine out with a bench
vise and two sockets; one was a very small one that I used as the
pusher, while the other was a deep well socket just large enough to
fit over the conical portion of the pin.  A third hand is helpful
when getting things aligned in the vise - and as always, wear safety
glasses.

Exercise care on reassembly.  I was able to simply push the pin in
with a vise and some small wood pieces to prevent scufffing.  Make
sure it goes in straight, as the pin is a hardened metal while the
arm is a a relatively soft casting.

HTH!
Dan