Re: Wire wheels

To: Todd Richmond <twr@fc.hp.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire wheels
From: Bill Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 10:58:52 -0800
At 11:12 AM -0700 3/6/02, Todd Richmond wrote:
>Listers,
>
>I've read in Piggott's book and other places that 48-spoke wheels
>are "barely adequate" and may be unsafe.  My TR3A came with a set of
>6 48-spoke wheels.  Should I be worried about using them when my
>resto is finished?  I really like the wire wheel look, and I would
>rather not put out hundreds of dollars for a few more spokes per
>wheel.  Any consensus on the safety of 48-spoke wheels, or the lack
>thereof?

I also have a set of 6 steel wheels which I could use for any
rallys/races/etc. if it came to that.  I was going to sell them, but
perhaps I should keep them?

Todd, I raced my first TR3 (1957) on 48 spoke wheels, frankly I did
not know enough to even doubt their strength. 6 races at the Halls,
TN Airport and 6 1st in under 2000cc.  No problems, No broken spokes,
and this was also my daily (read that as only) car. I ran Michelen X
tires and when I wore out the tread on the outside edge, I just
flipped the tires on the rims and wore out the rest of them. I did
not know you "couldn't" do that. My current TR3 has 60 spoke wheels
courtesy of the PO, but I would not hesitate to use 48 spoke if I had
them. Frankly the only wheel problem I ever had was steel wheels on a
Sprite, after installing Dunlop Green Spots, I had so much traction
that I broke a wheel on a very fast right hander, and ended up
flipping the Sprite.
I am sure you will get other opinions, but that was my experience.
Take Care
--
Bill Pugh
1957 TR-3