Re: TR3a questions - windshield seal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3a questions - windshield seal
From: "jack williams" <jackandangie@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 17:23:29 -0600
I assume that you are installing the rubber around the windshield. I have
never done a tr3, but I have done a couple of sliding truck windows, a 51
Willys jeep and two or three volkswagons.

The way that has always worked best for me is:

1. put the windshield in the rubber seal

2. Get a really strong piece of nylon cord or rope no bigger than 1/4 in.
(it will take a lot of stress, I recommend the rope, like what we used to
call sash cord) and put it in the groove around the outside edge of the
window rubber startign at the bottom. Use enough that you can go all the way
around, overlap about a foot,  and have about a foot sticking out.

3. Soap up the rubber and the rope and put the windshield that is now in the
rubber, wrapped circled by the cord into the frame with the end pieces of
the rope over lapping each other on the inside of the car.

4. Reach inside and begin pulling one end of the cord around the edge of the
rubber. As you go around it will pull the lip of the rubber from outside to
the inside. When you have pulled the rope al the way around to where you
started the whole thing should be in.

Other notes: Keep a spray bottle of soapy water within reach, as the rubber
begins to dry it should be rewet so as not to tear the rubber. And don't try
to go too fast, be patient.

Hope this helps,
Jack