TR6 a/c electrical question

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 a/c electrical question
From: Jim Davis <jdavis344@directvinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 16:04:02 -0500
With warm weather upon us I decided to get my a/c system charged for the
first time since I installed a new compressor last year. The a/c shop
said they charged the system but when they turned it on, smoke came out
the vents, so they turned it off and checked the compressor by bypassing
the control unit.
I thought it would be just a blown fuse, so I brought it home to see if
I could find the problem. Now I'm stuck!
When I turn the system on from the control unit switch (off, low, high
fan speed), nothing happens. I tested the fan motor, and it runs fine
when connected directly to the battery.
There are 4 wires that run from the control unit on the driver's side to
the control unit on the passenger side and one black hot wire. The hot
wire is spiced into the radio lead directly to the fuse box. The radio
has power so I assume there's power to the control unit.
The other 4 wires are red, orange, yellow and blue. The blue wire goes
to the evaporator. The other 3 wires go into a plug that attaches to the
fan/condensor unit. An orange wire from the fan motor plugs into a
shared spade connector and a black ground wire goes from the fan motor
to ground.
Any suggestions on how to check the system out? No wires seem to be
burned and no fuses have blown.
TIA,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA