Re: Engine Breaking-In Oil teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g29Imte00444

To: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Engine Breaking-In Oil teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g29Imte00444
From: Bill Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 10:48:04 -0800
>Can anyone recommend a BRAND and tell me where to buy the oil that
>should be used for breaking in the Herald/Spitfire engine?  From my
>understanding of the outcome, it should be about a 30 weight mineral
>oil. What the h... is that exactly? I don't wish to put lamp oil
>into my engine, and find I was wrong...

OK here goes, After Casper was totally, and I mean totally rebuilt my
Mechanic insisted that I use 10w-30w Havoline for at least 2000
miles, he was adamant that I NOT use PennZoil. I must admit the
breakin went very smoothly, I added about a quart and a half over the
2000 miles, confirming that the rings were seating. And there were a
few, very few, minor leaks.

>Also, what is the best oil to use after break in? I have just put a
>good bit of money and effort into the engine rebuild(not to mention
>the whole car) and I want it to "live long and prosper"(insert funny
>hand sign here)

After the breakin period I went to 10w-40w Redline Synthetic, since
that time I have not had to add any oil, the engine purrs like a
kitten, and the oil leaks have vanished.  Now I know Redline is
"expensive" but considering the price I paid for the rebuild,it is
cheap insurance.

Just my 8"

--
Bill Pugh