Help needed on MK3 driveshaft and diff problems! x-mac-creator="4D4F5353

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help needed on MK3 driveshaft and diff problems! x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Lenny Seidman <lseidman@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:55:01 -0500
Does anyone have detailed info on installing the rear sliding part of
the driveshaft on a MK 3 Spitfire. I had to remove the sliding end of
the driveshaft yesterday and to my surprise many small roller bearings
fell out when i took the sliding section off. Also there were 2 1/4
round /rectangular shaped metal clips that look like they hold the
bearings in place. Both the slider end and the prop shaft end have
v-shaped grooves cut into them which seems to house the roller bearings.
I really don't want to have to remove the trans tunnel inside the car,
and/or the exhaust header so that I can get to the bolts and unbolt the
front of the prop shaft and remove it completely from the car just to
put back the rear slider part!

Details, ESPECIALLY pictures, the number of roller bearings and how to
put this back together would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have been trying to put a later diff in my MK3 (my spider gears had
started making horrific noises) because I couldn't find an early diff
(4:11) and at first glance everything looked the same until I got the
diff and suspension bolted up and was getting ready to bolt up the axles
and prop shaft. The holes in the flanges do not line up! I had to remove
the diff, take off the shafts from each diff and interchange them. That
is when I had to remove the slider section of the prop shaft to see what
I could do to line up the holes for the driveshaft where it bolts to the
diff. DIFFERENT size shaft!  Can the shaft (drive end) of the diff be
replaced as easily as the side axle shafts going into the diff? Any
other suggestions?

Anyone have a good used early (4:11) diff for sale reasonably priced?

One other question..I also replaced the rear leaf spring and the Haynes
manual says something about making sure the spring side marked front
faces towards the front. The spring I got from VickBrit had no markings
except for a part number painted on it. Is there a front side and back
facing side to the spring and if so how can you tell?

Thanks,
Lenny Seidman
70 Mk3 awaiting diff and driveshaft to get back on the road