Re: Decision point

To: wallaces@superaje.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Decision point
From: Tr3bob@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:55:49 EST
Hi Jim,
FWIW....I am rebulding the early ('66)OD "D" type tranny for my MGB. I looked
far and wide for an OD tranny for my car and finally found one in a boneyard.
When I went to pick it up, the guy gave me the complete engine as a bonus.
Point is; I've already built up the engine and have the tranny apart and am
rebuilding it. This is the first tranny for me. I wanted to do it for several
reasons...I wanted a warm and fuzzy feeling with the "mysterious" OD
tranny....I wanted to save the heartbreaker of buying a used tranny,
installing it only to find out it was toast....and I wanted the "correct and
authentic" tranny for my "B".....something that I've striven for in the 25
years I've owned her.
I had to replace the laygear, layshaft and bearings. The laygear wiped out
first and third gears....they are replaced. I'm replacing all the sychro
rings and thrust washers. Now I'm struggling with the end floats and I've
spent about $600.....BUT, I'm a happy camper......I'm getting it done and
accomplishing EVERYTHING I wanted to do.
Try it.....you won't be sorry.

Good luck

Bob Stahlbush
66 MGB GHN3L 78708 (soon to get a fresh power plant with OD)
60 TR3A TS 81398L (5 years in.....will be done this summer)