Non-LBC car painting question

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Non-LBC car painting question
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:12:02 -0500
I have a black car with a pretty good paint job except for several areas
down low on the fenders where the paint is scratched from brushing against
something.  It's not down to the metal, just down to the primer.  There is
no rust.  These areas are about 1 inch high and 6 inches long.  If I take it
to a paint shop they will want to do the entire fenders for big bucks.  How
good a job can I do with a can of spray paint?  I have wet sandpaper, 400,
600 and 1000 grit, and also buffing compound.  I just want to do that area,
not the entire finder.  I've done things like this before, but it never
really looked professional.  Are there any tricks I ought to know?
Alternatively, can a paint shop just do a small area without repainting the
entire fender, and have it blend in?  Sorry for the non-LBC content.

Sumner Weisman