Re: Non-LBC car painting question

To: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Subject: Re: Non-LBC car painting question
From: "mike" <mike@gsta.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:14:58 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sumner - The auto paint you can buy from Autozone, Discount Auto Parts, Pep
boys etc... can be used pretty easily to do this. You can use the spray or
the kind with the little brush. It's laquer so it can be easily worked and
blended so that you can get a pretty nice job without spending alot of
money.

The key to the whole thing is to get the new paint up to the level of the
old paint. You can do this by using the paint with the little brush in the
cap. This is how I've done it:

1) Even though there is no visible rust you MUST clean the area well. There
is a product called Nick-sand that is like a pen with an abrasive for a tip.
Most autoparts stores have something like it. Use it to clean the scratched
area. When you're satisfied that it's well prepared, clean the area in and
around with rubbing alcohol

2) Get a GOOD quality thin paint brush about the width of the scratch. You
can get these at any hobby store. Use the brush to paint coats of the well
stirred touch up paint into the scratch. Keep doing this until you've built
up the paint to at least the level of the old paint.

3) Wait for it to dry thoroughly. Laquer dries fast but make sure it's good
and dry before you do anything else to it.

4) Wet sand the area with 600 grit wet-dry paper. You might want to use a
sanding block or just wrap the paper around something. You're simply trying
to 'feather' the new paint into the old paint. I don't know what your
original paint is so be careful to use a very gentle touch.

5) Get a high quality heavy cutting buffing compound. Any auto paint store
should have this. Don't use glazing compound or cleaner - it'll take you
forever to get rid of the fine sanding scratches. Buff the area carefully
until the repair is blended to near invisibility.

6) You can use a finer buffing compound with wax in it to finish.

That's all there is to it ;-) I've gotten good results with this method and
it's MUCH cheaper than a body shop.

Good Luck!!
~Mike Brooks