Re: rust removal / rust prevention

To: <rgreene@whoi.edu>, <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Subject: Re: rust removal / rust prevention
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:42:27 EST
Cc: <triumph@bigolbear.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Someone wrote:

> > Many (most?) modern cars are galvanised and will not rust, with or without
> > electronic corrosion protection....

Perhaps the galvanizing process varies depending upon who does it, or perhaps
it has gotten better in recent years? One of the "selling points" of the 1974
Volvo my mom bought new was that the sheet metal was all galvanized (in
addition to all of the wonderful Volvo undercoating/rustproofing). Well, maybe
the Belgian Volvo assembly plant didn't do all that good a job (no offense to
any Belgian listers -- and Belgian-built Triumphs always seemed to hold up
about as well rust-wise as any other Triumphs). That Volvo was seriously rusty
within about five years, much more so than any of the earlier Volvos I owned at
the same time.

On the other hand, I've some fairly old galvanized buckets, garbage cans and
washtubs around and about the barn (from its dairy cow and horse days). They're
still in pretty good shape. ;-)

--Andy Mace