TR-6 Alternator in a TR4?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-6 Alternator in a TR4?
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 05:30:48 -0800 (PST)
Hi Everyone,

I was moving the TR-4 out of the way the other night and had forgotten just how
anemic the charging system is on that car.

With the lights on, the windshield wipers were very sluggish and the turn
signal was real slow to blink.  Heaven knows what would have happened if I had
turned on the electric fan or heater.

It is probably a low voltage situation (I think the battery maxes out at less
than 13V)as much as the low generator output at idle . . .but it got me to
thinking:

I'm waiting for the day that the Lucas Alternator on the TR-6 gives up the
ghost.  When it does I'll probably go with that Bosch alternator from a Ford
Festiva.

I was wondering though if that same alternator was a good candidate for
upgrading a TR4 from Generator to Alternator.

It'd be nice to be able to swap alternators between cars in case one went on
the fritz.

Does anyone have any experience or comments on such a thing?

Scott Tilton
TR6 in Foggy but Dry Leesburg VA
http://sports.yahoo.com/