RE: Tr3a fuel problem - continued

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tr3a fuel problem - continued
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:49:51 -0800 o m>
David :

The valves in the fuel pump are not perfect, they don't always seal well
against air, with the result that the pump needs at least some fuel in it to
pump effectively.  But, if you already got a few strokes worth of fuel out
of it, I doubt this is the problem.

You should be able to blow through the line easily with just lung power
(being careful not to get gasoline in your mouth).  Blowing 60 psi air
doesn't necessarily prove anything, as it might not dislodge a hard chunk
(like a screw head), but just leak past it.  The pump only puts out 2-4 psi,
that has to be enough to move fuel through the line.

I think you're on the right track, continue to "divide and conquer" until
you find the section that doesn't work.  I would probably hook the gas can
directly to the pump, with the pump outlet disconnected, and get that to
work.  Then add the run to the carbs, and the run to the tank.

Under the heading of "just in case", note that if the carb bowls are full,
or the line to the carbs is blocked, the pump may not be able to fill the
sediment bowl even though everything else is working.

Randall