RE: TR3A Wiring question

To: <RayAntoky@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Wiring question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:14:14 -0800
Ray :

The fuse has no relation to the rheostat, TS39781 has the former and not the
latter.  There are quite a few more TR3/A wiring variations than shown in
the TRF catalog.

The British had an unusual view towards fuses, the result is that much of
the wiring in a TR3 is not protected by fuses.  The inline fuse added
protection to the wiring to the taillamps, license light, parking lamps, and
dash lamps.  Why (or even if) it was "fitted USA only", I have no idea.  (If
someone else does know, please chime in.)

I like the fuse, but IMO it's not really necessary.  My experience is that
without it, the headlamp switch will act as a fuse, the contacts in it will
burn and open (permanently) before the car actually catches fire from a
short in the light wiring.  But I got tired of replacing those durn switches
!  My car now has fuses for the headlights too.

Randall Young
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV
et al