Rust Removal by Electrolysis UPDATE

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rust Removal by Electrolysis UPDATE
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 22:49:54 -0500
So I decided to try the setup that was given in the thread earlier this
week.  In short, you're better off getting small bead blasting setup.

The process works well, but it is time consuming.  What takes two hours to
accomplish via the this method can be done in 2 minutes with a home bead
blast cabinet.  I can't think of any advantages the "electrolysis" process
has over abrasive blasting.  I can think of some negative issues resulting
from electrolysis.  It is messy, the flash rust sets in INCREDIBLY quick
after removing your part from the solution, it is slow as I mentioned, it
still requires manual labour in the form of some scrubbing to remove the
dark gray coating that the process creates on the part, the part your
attempting to derust must have a really good electrical connection
(especially if it is an assembly)!

I ended up using a stainless steel anode (as suggested), and it formed this
disgusting green precipitate on it.  The solution turns a nasty red oxide
colour with some equally nasty looking foam on the surface.  Of course it
isn't toxic, my skin is still intact (relax relax, it isn't caustic at all).

If your part has paint on it anyway, you'll need to remove that first of
course.  Whereas if you were just going to bead blast it you wouldn't have
to do the extra work.

So that's my verdict, cool idea, but no practical use in auto restoration as
far as I can see.

Kai