RE: Compression fittings

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Compression fittings
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:18:50 -0800 o m>
> My understanding of compression fittings is as the nut compresses the
> "olive" the greater the seal, correct?

David :

That's correct, but after a point the olive starts crushing the tubing under
it and tightening more just ruins everything.  I've usually found that they
seal very easily (they're only used for very low pressure applications) and
if not, there is something else wrong.  For instance, the surface of the
tubing has to be nearly perfect under the 'olive' otherwise it won't seal.
For that reason, compression fittings cannot be used with welded tubing, it
has to be 'seamless'.  If you're fighting with a TR3 steering box, then any
burrs or imperfections in the nut or seat can also cause problems.

Randall