Re: Compression fittings

Subject: Re: Compression fittings
From: Dennis & Bridget Lambert <blambert@socal.rr.com> (Unverified)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 15:08:01 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
David,

I'll second what Randall says about not over tightening the steering box gland
nut.  If you are using a new compression sleeve (olive), they are generally
longer than the originals, so the gland nut grabs only a few threads on the
steering box cap.  If you really crank on the gland nut, its very easy to strip
threads.  Guess which ones go first - yep, pretty soon you are looking for a new
steering box end cap.  Ask me how I know this!  Tighten the gland nut just to
just 'snug'.

Dennis