RE: battery revival?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: battery revival?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:13:17 -0800
> So the question for you battery experts is:  Can this battery be
> saved, or
> does that behavior represent fatal internal shorting or something?

Jim :

If it's the battery's fault, then it's unlikely it can be saved.  However,
this exact problem could also be caused by something in the car drawing a
small amount of current when the car is turned off.  Try repeating your
experiment, but disconnect the battery after the run.  If you still find it
is completely dead after a few days, then take it back to AutoZone and get
it replaced under warranty.  If not, then the problem lies elsewhere.

Also be sure that the top of the battery is clean of any dirt or corrosion.
It can sometimes become conductive enough to discharge a battery.

Years ago I had an Audi 100LS that developed a mysterious dead battery
problem.  It was finally traced down to the relay for the rear window
defogger, which would sometimes activate itself in the presence of evening
dew.  By morning, the dew would dry and the relay would operate normally
(after the battery was charged/replaced).

Randall