Re: Tranny questions

To: "'lagrue@hotmail.com'" <lagrue@hotmail.com>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tranny questions
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:59:19 -0700
Jeremy Chinn wrote:

>I believe I my have the dreaded clunk in the back of my 73 Six. I get a

>clunking sound upon putting the car in 1st or reverse and releasing the

>clutch. Considering the relatively new rear hubs, ujoints and rear end,
it
>points me toward the rear end mounts.
>My question is this, what is the best way to check for this problem. Do
>have to remove the diff or at least lower it to find the problem, or is

>there another way I have not thought of?

Just to add to others who have responded, make sure you check both top
and bottom of the mount.  There is a long stud that goes thru the top of
the diff mount crossmember and then thru a plate welded to the underside
of the diff mount crossmember.  Check both of these surfaces.  In my
case the lower plate was cracked.

John Lumia - 1976 TR6