RE: Tranny questions

To: "JEREMY CHINN" <lagrue@hotmail.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[07FA85C0:01C1CE0D] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g2HNdvL11127
Subject: RE: Tranny questions
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 17:30:56 -0600 cpqcorp.net>
Jeremy,

You must be my evil twin brother as I pulled mine off today (after
fixing the diff and a u-joint) to replace the three o-rings that were
leaking from the selector shafts.

Yes, it is as easy as removing 8 bolts to remove the top cover.  The
gasket is paper thin, so you will probably need a new one.  Also note
that the bolts are two different lengths.

Bill
Atlanta
74 TR6

I am still having difficulty with my recently rebuilt transmission. The
symptom is a very baulky downshift to 2nd gear. Sometimes the shift is
pretty good, othertimes it just won't go. Several have suggested that
this
is because of poor quality synchronizer cups installed at the rebuild.
The
other suggestions have mostly centered around poor tolerances related to
the
thrust washers I put in on the main shaft.
I know all of these can be measured simply with the tranny top cover
off.
What I cannot remember is if the top cover can be removed with the
tranny
in-situ? (I would rather pull just the top cover and measure, than pully
the
whole tranny because I live in an apartment complex and must 'rent' a
working space while the tranny is out-obviously, the shorter the time
the
better!)

Thanks for any responses.