Re: Dreaded clunk

To: <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Dreaded clunk
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 07:56:39 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Pete Chadwell wrote:
That clunk can be other things, too.  My '73 TR6 diff clunks in the
same way you describe and the mounts have been repaired, UJs new,
hubs in good shape, etc.  What's the source of the clunk?  Either
it's excessive backlash in the differential (which has never been
rebuilt and is getting quite tired) or it's worn splines on the inner
axle shafts, or perhaps both.  I've heard some say that there's no
such thing as a TR6 that doesn't clunk.  I dunno if that's true, but
the clunking does seem to be a chronic TR6 problem.

Pete - I'll bow to the superior knowldge of others who have stripped
out diffs for pleasure and entertainment, but it sounds like one of
the "i'erent faults" associated with the big Triumph saloons,
popularly known as 'quill shaft clonk.' ISTR the diffs are visually
similar if not identical to those on Barb/Innsbruck. From memory, it
used to be the bearing on the front end of the shaft in the diff nose.
This was an endemic problem in all manual/overdrive cars but rarely if
ever found in automatics, owing to the *gentler* loads imposed on the
diff by the driveline.

Jonmac
1950 Ferguson TED20
1970 Triumph 2.5PI "Canley Girl" is finished
www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/
1974 Triumph 2000 "Fletchampstead Flossie"
www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumph-hire

IN THE SHADOW OF MY FATHER
http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook
THE CROCUS AND A CORNFLOWER http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/crocus