TR3A fuel tank in early TR3?

Subject: TR3A fuel tank in early TR3?
From: "Don Marshall" <marshall@nefcom.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:13:09 -0500 tests=SUBJ_ENDS_IN_Q_MARK,USER_IN_WHITELIST version=2.01
The gas tank in my '57 TR3 has rusted out at the bottom, along with some of
the tub underneath.  As a temporary expedient to get the car running in time
for our club's weekend tour I pulled a spare TR3A tank out of the barn but
when I went to install it I find that not only are the holes in different
places but the tank bottom itself is shaped differently too.  I can correct
the hole lineup easily enough with a hole saw (the tub is rusted through as
well and will have to be repaired later so drilling more holes isn't going
to hurt anything), but I'm curious to know if anyone has put the later tank
in the early car and is there any reason I shouldn't do it.
Thanks, Don