Fwd: TR4 Idling Speed & polarity RADIO condenser

To: "INTERNET:Billtr4@aol.com" <Billtr4@aol.com>
Subject: Fwd: TR4 Idling Speed & polarity RADIO condenser
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:45:07 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:Billtr4@aol.com
>now that TR4 22592 is assembled painted and I have it on the road for
sorting
out, The original radio plays fine til I start the engine, then its just
pure
static. Hlp me remember about the condensor? where did we get them and
where
did they go in the circuit. I am converted to alternator also. TIA Bill
<

Bill, there are two possible sources for interference, conducted and
radiated.  The conducted noise will be noise on the power wires and most
likely from the alternator.  The radiated noise is typically from the spark
plug wires.

A quick check to determine which one you have is to disconnect the belt and
start the engine.  You'll only have to run the engine long enough to verify
if the noise is still there or not (15 seconds?).  If it goes away then the
source of the noise is the alternator and a power line filter is called
for.  Filters are available at most outlets that sell automotive
electronics.

If the noise is still there then you need to address the spark plug wires
and plugs.  Resistor plugs may solve the problem or you may also need
resistor wires.  Also, sometimes a ground strap to the hood (bonnet) will
also help.

Remember that interference suppression is more an art than a science and
trial and error is the usual procedure that is followed.

Cheers and good luck.

Dave