RE: Gaskets?

To: "ebk" <ebk@buffnet.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gaskets?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 08:09:16 -0800
Cosmo :

Sealing is indeed the usual function of a gasket.  They sometimes serve
other purposes, cushioning between irregular/brittle parts or as a filler,
but I can't think of any place on a Triumph motor where this is true.  For
the TR2-4 motor oil pump, note that the pump outlet goes through that
gasket, so any leak would be a loss of oil pressure.  True, it would only
leak back into the pan, but it's still not desirable, hence the factory used
a gasket.

I don't use any sort of gasket compound on that gasket.  If you do use
something, use Hylomar or a gasket shellac (Permatex), not silicone.

Randall