Gaskets?

To: ebk <ebk@buffnet.net>
Subject: Gaskets?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:47:22 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by ebk
>    What's the propose of a gasket?
I thought it was to 'seal' the unit for it Not to leak? Like the Valve
Cover Gasket. But there is a gasket that goes between the sump pump &
the engine block which is all encased in oil.  Therefore; What 'gasket
compound' is to be used? or Isn't it necessary to use a 'gasket
compound'? :-\  I really Don't want to use a silicone bast compound,
because of mixing with the engine oil & possibly clogging oil passages,
or anything else.
<

Cosmo, in this case the gasket is to prevent the oil pump from sucking air
instead of oil.  Do not use any gasket sealer here as any excess will find
it's way into the oil passages and unfriendly things may ensue.

Dave