Re: Gaskets?

To: "ebk" <ebk@buffnet.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gaskets?
From: "Dixie" <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:23:01 -0000
Hi Jeff,

The purpose of a gasket is to make a seal between two mating surfaces. In
your case between the oil pump and the block. This item is not submerged in
oil so if a perfect seal does not occur between the mating surfaces you
would draw in air. Not conducive to good oil pressure.

A smear of grease on both sides of the gasket is all that is required when
fitting an oil pump. This also assists as a holding agent during assembly.

I am unsure as to the grease being compulsory, just a technique my Father
taught me many years ago for all gaskets ( he built Rolls Royce Merlin
engines for Lancaster bombers in WW11) so I do think some old ideas can not
be that bad.

Nice to see that the 'steam' computer has been replaced.

Kind Regards

Adrian
TR4A CT64306 O