TR6-Compression Readings-High CO

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6-Compression Readings-High CO
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:51:43 -0700
List,

I was helping a friend tune-up his TR6 today and we got dry compression
readings of 120, 122, 120, 118, 115, 130 for cylinders 1-6.  It ran fine
(decent pull through all gears) but we couldn't get the CO to come close to
passing emissions (need < 4%).  It was reading over 19% on the CO monitor.  No
amount of adjusting the fuel mixture and/or timing would get it any lower.

The head, intake manifold, and carbs were put on this engine from a parts car
engine that was getting 2.2 % on the very same CO monitor.   The reason for
the switcheroo was the "new" car was a better candidate for fixing up than the
"old" car that could pass emissions.

Do the compression readings and the high CO readings indicate the rings are
shot?  Could blow-by be causing the emissions to be so high that any fuel
mixture/timing adjustments are just lost in the noise?

We didn't have time to do a wet compression test or read the plugs again...got
too cold and dark.  How much of an increase in compression with a wet
compression test would indicate that it's the rings?  Readings around 145-155?
If not rings then what else might it be?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/opinions/wags.

Bud Rolofson
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost Parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)