Re: TR6-Compression Readings-High CO

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6-Compression Readings-High CO
From: Steven Newell <newellsteven@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:48:54 -0800 (PST)
> We didn't have time to do a wet compression test or
> read the plugs again...got too cold and dark.  How
> much of an increase in compression with a wet
> compression test would indicate that it's the rings?
> Readings around 145-155? If not rings then what
> else might it be?

Bud, I'm afraid while I'm not a tuning expert, I
gained a little experience failing Colorado's
emissions tests with my TR4. After failing in
different ways a number of times, I passed using the
"pay Kats British Cars to tune the carbs" technique.
But before then I talked to a couple real nice car
guys who work for the state emissions office (one a
Lotus owner) and maybe their pointers will help -- if
I recall them correctly.

Worn rings/burnt valves/bad timing should fail HC
(generally). CO fails when the fuel and air ratio is
off. Some reasons for this include:

- The engine isn't fully warmed up to operating
temperature (or the stat is stuck open or missing)
- wrong float level, stuck float (other bad news about
carbs like leaking this or plugged that)
- incorrect idle and air/fuel mixture adjustment (say
a needle that can't be leaned out enough for rarified
Colorado air, synchronization problems, worn throttle
rods)
- problems with PVC valves and stuff that isn't on my
car and I don't understand

Hope this is a bit of help if it's not completely
wrong. If it's partly right then it should be
encouraging news, compared to rebuilding an engine in
the morning.

Steven Newell
Denver, CO
'62 TR4