RE: Exhaust manifold studs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Exhaust manifold studs
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:20:04 -0800
Jim :

I've heard that stainless does not do well in high temperature threaded
applications, it tends to gall badly.  My suggestion would be a generous
dose of anti-seize every time you remove and reinstall the nuts.  I use
copper-based anti-seize (FelPro "On-n-Off" which is NLA), the nickel based
stuff would probably be OK.  I've never come even close to having a stud
twist off since I've started using the stuff.

But, if you really want to be sure the studs will never twist off again, get
some brass nuts to use on them.  The brass will strip before the stud
twists.  My local discount autoparts chain (Pep Boys) carries a package with
3 studs and 3 brass nuts, in the 'Help' section.  I forget the exact
application offhand, but it's some older Chevy/GM V8.

Randall