RE: clutch shaft taper pin

To: Stephen <jsellis@shaw.ca>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: clutch shaft taper pin
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:33:33 -0800
> I'm sure this has probably been discussed a million times ,but
> being new to the list I'm not in the know! Broken pin ...What
> now? Any quick and easy fixes  out there?Thanks.

Wish it was quick and easy !

Remove seats, carpet, trans tunnel.  Remove 4 bolts to driveshaft, 2 to rear
motor mount, and speedo cable.  Support rear of engine enough to remove
pressure from rear motor mount.  Undo the clutch slave (which can remain
connected to it's flex line), starter, and all the other bolts/nuts holding
the gearbox to the engine.    Get a friend to help you lift out the gearbox.

With the gearbox out and supported somehow standing on it's tail flange (or
laying on the bench), use a center punch to make a mark in the surface of
the clutch fork, in-line with the broken taper pin.  Drill through the fork
with a 3/16" (or so) drill bit, starting at right angles to the surface and
gradually turning to be in-line with the broken pin.  Unscrew the broken
head of the taper pin, turn the fork to it's approximate original position
on the shaft (look down the hole to find this) and use a 1/8" punch to drive
out the remains of the pin.  See
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Clutch/ClutchForkPin/RemovingBroken
ClutchForkPins.htm
for some good photos and info.  (If that link doesn't work, go to
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org
and click on 'Technical' and then 'Removing Broken Clutch Fork pins'.

Consider how far you're going to go with "Shipwright's disease".  The TOB
and clutch friction plate are probably a given at this point, anything
beyond that is up to you and your wallet.  Herman van den Akker is selling a
Toyota 5-speed transmission conversion kit, that never suffers from a broken
taper pin ...

Assuming you elect to reinstall the original gearbox, use a new taper pin
and do a trial assembly with the shaft still out of the gearbox.  Make sure
the pin locates the fork securely with the it only moderately tight.  If you
can feel any movement whatsoever, replace the shaft too.  Personally, I like
the "crossbolt" mod to ensure it never happens again, but Nelson Riedel has
kindly posted several alternatives at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Clutch/ClutchShaft/ClutchShaft.htm

Note : Without realizing I had a broken taper pin, I drove several years by
making a longer push rod for the clutch slave.  I don't necessarily
recommend this, but it's a thought if you want to put off the clutch job
just a little longer ...

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV