RE: TR2 - converting to negative earth

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR2 - converting to negative earth
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 04:51:36 -0800 (PST)
Randall Young Wrote:

There are also electronic devices available that will let you safely use
your CD player while keeping the car positive ground.  See for example
http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=5126&BQ=jcw2

I'm sorry to say that just the other week I threw out one of these polarity
switching devices.

I bought it back in 1986 when I got my first TR4 and didn't know you could
convert a car from one type of ground to the other.

Mine came from Radio shack and was a box about 3" x 3" x 6"

It made an annoying high pitched whine any time it was connected.

Back in 1986 I was given a car stereo for my 16th birthday.
(I had saved my money and bought the TR4 several months earlier)

While the car was at Circuit City getting my birthday present installed, some
wench in a van backed into the front corner of my car!

Then, when I got the car back, apparently there were voltage and current issues
with the installed 50 watt stereo system.  Any time I hit the brakes, turned on
the lights, fan, wipers . . . the stereo would blink off for a second.

Not a great Birthday.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 . . still positive ground, and with an ANEMIC generator.
One day it'll be negative ground and with an alternator.
One day.
http://movies.yahoo.com/