When to bore, when to just hone

Subject: When to bore, when to just hone
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:40:19 -0500
I was at the machine shop the other day discussing work on my TR6 engine
block with the machinist. He looked at the bores, felt the top for a ridge,
and observed that the cross-hatch pattern was still visible. From this he
concluded that it just needed honing.

Now, I'm not experienced with this, but shouldn't some measurements be made
to confirm this? I want to talk to him about this tomorrow, but don't see
any maximum wear data in my Bentley manual. It just says check for taper,
ovality, and maximum wear. I'll be darned if I can find the data describing
how much taper, ovality, and maximum wear is acceptable. Can anybody point
me in the right direction?

Also, I see reference to +.010 rings, but nobody stocks them. Would these be
fitted to standard sized pistons? Oversize pistons start at +.020.

Finally, what do I do with the piston/bore grade data that Bentley refers
to? I assume that you match A pistons to A bores. Correct?

Thanks in advance
Hugh Fader