RE: When to bore, when to just hone

To: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: RE: When to bore, when to just hone
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:58:16 -0500
Message text written by Hugh Fader
>I just looked in the Haynes book. It says look for less than .006"
difference between the bore just below the ridge and the bore at the bottom
of the cylinder. Since the standard size is 2.940, I guess anything over
2.946 anywhere in the bore would mean I need to rebore. Does this sound
right?
<

No, what it means is you measure the bottom and then the top and compare
the two.  The 2.940 is the nominal diameter and engines will vary due to
manufacturing tolerances.  Comparing the top of the bore to the nominal can
give you a false positive or a false negative. If you measure 2.946 at the
top and assume you arr at the limit you could be wrong.  If the bottom is
actually 2.937 then your taper is actually .009".  If the bottom is
actually 2.943 then your taper is actually .003".

 Your machinist knows this but it sounds like he's been around the block
and can tell from other subtle clues that you do not have significant
taper.  Of course it never hurts to actually measure it.

Dave