RE: DOT3 vs. silicone (longish)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: DOT3 vs. silicone (longish)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 19:16:44 -0800
> I have read that silicone absorbs a lot more air than standard
> fluids. That
> apparently makes the pedal mushy.

That's not quite right.  Rather, once mixed with air, silicone tends to stay
mixed.  It will not absorb air on it's own (as DOT 3/4 does water).

One way to avoid any trouble with trapped air in DOT 5 is to wait a day to
bleed the brakes/clutch after adding to the MC.  Another is to pour it down
a clean screwdriver or something, so the falling liquid doesn't carry air
with it into the standing liquid.

I've lost count of how many years I've been using DOT 5 in my TR3A, it stops
straight and hard.  Nothing mushy about the pedal either.  I haven't had to
"lock 'em up" since putting the current Potenzas on it, but I could lock the
previous Yokos with less than 1/2 pedal travel.  The car was apparently
converted to 9" rear brakes by a PO, but otherwise the brakes are all stock
except for the DOT 5.

And I've never had Girling seals turn 'mushy' either.  I do have to replace
rear seals once in a great while, because the bores are rough from corrosion
suffered during previous DOT 4 usage.  I've got some new cylinders from Moss
that I plan to install next time the seals start to weep.

Randall