Re: seals

To: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: seals
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nelson@buckeyetriumphs.org>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 09:12:55 -0500

_______________

Fred,

According to reports to the SAE, silicon fluids were tested as early as '74
and found to perform properly with SBR, ethylene propylene  (EP), natural
rubber seals & cups as well as Neoprene brake hoses.   SAE had
specifications for Silicon brake fluids way back then.

I've had the same soft seal trouble indicated in the original email,
especially with clutch master cylinders. The fluid turned black after about
a year, then I got a wet foot and ruined paint.  That was with Castrol LMA
(DOT4).   I could have blamed the LMA (or the wife), but didn't.  Crappy
seals are crappy seals.  Silicon fluid (DOT5) makes a good excuse if you can
get away with it.

Haven't had problems with either silicon or glycol based fluids when I use
high quality replacement seals such as those from TRF.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, Ohio
'68TR250, '76TR6, '70TR6 (project)