Ballast vs non-ballasted ignition system

Subject: Ballast vs non-ballasted ignition system
From: Ed Hutchinson <>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:41:15 -0400
I currently have the Crane XR 700 Electronic ignition on my TR6. I am also
running a Lucas Sports Coil. I noticed in the most recent Moss catalog that
the Lucas Sports Coil works with non-ballasted ignition systems only. On
the same page it shows a Crane Ignition Coil which complements the Crane
XR-700 Ignition kit and includes a ballast resistor. I'm getting more and
more confused as to what I should be using.

How does the car run if you have a miss-matched system? Does it skip, burn
oil, run rough, what?

I am somewhat mechanically challenged and could use whatever help anyone
could provide.

/// mailing list
///  To unsubscribe send a plain text message to
///  with nothing in it but
///     unsubscribe triumphs
///  or try