RE: TR2 restart

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: TR2 restart
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:38:58 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "David Gunn" <ccgunn1010@hotmail.com>
Message text written by "Randall Young"
>Message text written by David Gunn
>> 1.  The engine has not been turned over in 12 years.  I am going to add
>> "mystery oil" to each of the cylinders, and let it sit for about a week,
>> before I even attempt to turn it over.  Any other suggestions?
>
>I'll let others answer with their favorite procedures.  I'd probably just
>crank it first with the plugs out, long enough to build oil pressure, then
>put the plugs in and fire it up.

David, I would echo Randall's comments but add that another thing to
consider (since the car has been sitting for 12 years) is to pull the
distributor and the distributor drive gear and run the oil pump with a hand
drill to circulate the oil to all the bearing surfaces before turning the
engine over.  12 years is a long time for an oil film.

Of course this means you'll have the job of reinstalling the gear and
distributor properly to restore proper ignition timing.

Cheers

Dave Massey
57 TR3 TS18010 (O)