Hard top & Polar bear Run (long)

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hard top & Polar bear Run (long)
From: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 11:15:00 -0500
Happy New Year, Last week Merri and I participated in the annual Georgia
Triumph association Polar Bear Run, an event in which we invite all the
other marques to participate. It was an outstanding event with 119 cars
participating; this year destination was Bruce Wieners Micro car Museum,
located in Madison Georgia which is about a 150 mile round trip for us.
The nice thing about is trip was that we made it using my new hard top.
First time cold weather use, how sweet it was, not once did Merri
complain about being cold, the temperature was in the mid thirties when
we left that morning. The night before I opened the water valve to the
heater, combined with the heater and the hard top she was very
comfortable.
Before we left that morning I let the car Idle for a while to warm up,
as we left I looked at the temperature gauge to check it temp, my car
likes to run at 165 degrees, it was slightly below that temperature.
Leaving the subdivision the car ran horribly, I choked it slightly, did
not help. At this point I'm beginning to develop a lump in the throat;
I'm not sure if we were going to be able to take the Tr3a. I made the
commit to my wife that if it doesn't get better by the time we reach the
next red light we would turn around and go get her Beetle Convertible.
Well I guess the 3a heard the commit and began to smooth out more and
more, soon it was running perfectly. I looked at my water gauge, 165
degrees, just as it likes.
The plan was for all the clubs to meet at the town square in Downtown
Madison; Madison is a Historic town in which most of the homes are
beautiful Antebellum Mansions. Prearrangement with the visitors center
included roped off for parking for a FEW cars, were they surprised.
After the cars were finally parked everyone dispersed to find some where
to eat, to our surprise they had several restaurants and many antique
shops to browse. (We had to have doubled that town's daily revenue.)
After lunch we headed to the Museum about 3 miles away. Greeting us in
the parking lot was an attendant handing out 3 lbs tubs of Double Bubble
bubble gum. It was a great time for all. I can't wait for the next
event..

Below is a description and a link to the Museum, also included is a
breakdown of the cars in attendance.

I hope everyone has a Great New Year ahead of them. My New Years wish is
to have the opportunity to meet and put together, many of the faces with
the name from the list.

Take care
Ronnie Babbitt

The Bruce Weiner Micro Car Museum:
http://www.microcar.org/weiner-collection/

This is the largest collection of Micro Cars (Bubble cars such as the
Messerschmitt Tiger, Goggomobile, a BMW Isetta police car, and rear
steering German built Hoffman)  There are 125+ restored cars on display
in the new 15,000 square foot building not only housing the cars but
posters, signs, micro car gear and models. It is a spectacular exhibit,
one that you cannot find anywhere else. Bruce Weiner owns the collection
and is also known as "Mr Dubble Bubble Gum", because his company,
Concord Confections Inc., manufactures that chewing gum. Viewing this
exhibit is something you will long remember. It's truly fascinating.

Cars in attendance, not included are the Domestic cars..

BRITISH (72 cars):
Triumph - 21:
5 TR3
11 TR6